Men and women in San Francisco with dental issues, whether they be cosmetic or medical in nature, visit Skoulas, DDS and Associates on a daily basis. Many of these patients have chosen our doctors because of the added benefit of their distinction as cosmetic dentists.
Many people wonder what the difference is between a cosmetic dentist and a regular dentist, so in this blog, we’d like to explain some of the main characteristics that differ between the two.
What is a Regular Dentist?
A regular dentist focuses primarily on correcting dental problems and reducing pain caused by these dental problems. Regular dentists also provide preventative care to patients through bi-annual cleanings, X-rays, and exams. This preventative care aids their patients in preventing oral conditions such as cavities and gum disease, which could lead to expensive treatments later down the line.
What is a Cosmetic Dentist?
A cosmetic dentist improves oral healthcare by performing dental work with the focus of improving the appearance of the teeth and gums. Cosmetic dentists focus on improving patients’ overall dental aesthetics by correcting the color, shape, position, size, and alignment of the smile.
Common Procedures Provided by a Cosmetic Dentist
While both regular dentists and cosmetic dentists have the same education and training, the benefit of choosing a cosmetic dentist for your oral healthcare is that they have additional training in procedures that focus on the aesthetics of the teeth and the overall appearance of the smile. Some of the most common procedures performed by a cosmetic dentist are:
- Placement of Veneers – Veneers provide amazing results for San Francisco men and women who wish to improve the aesthetics of their smile. By correcting teeth that are damaged, crooked, discolored, or uneven, veneers allow men and women to achieve a natural-looking smile with this non-invasive procedure. Veneers are crafted to match each patient’s existing teeth and are bonded onto the front of the tooth.
- Invisalign – A cosmetic dentist is able to fit patients for Invisalign correctors. Those who wish to straighten their smile without the off-putting appearance of metal braces choose these clear plastic trays to get the smile they’ve always dreamed of.
- Teeth Whitening – Teeth whitening is one of the most popular reasons San Francisco patients choose a cosmetic dentist over a general dentist. Because our doctors are fully knowledgeable of the different teeth whitening options on the market, they are able to provide each patient with the system that best suits their needs.
- Tooth Replacement Options – When San Francisco men and women have missing teeth, or teeth that need to be removed, a cosmetic dentist can provide tooth replacement through dental implants, crowns, bridges, or dentures. Replacing missing teeth is essential in order to maintain a patient’s oral health.
Comfort is Key
Another reason that patients choose a cosmetic dentist over a regular dentist for their care is that cosmetic dentists are qualified to provide oral anesthesia. By administering the right type of sedation, our doctors are able to keep you sedated just enough so that you are pain-free and unaware of your treatment. Types of oral anesthesia provided by our doctors at Skoulas, DDS and Associates are:
- Oral Sedation or Conscious Sedation
- Nitrous Oxide sedation
- IV (intravenous) Sedation or Twilight Sleep
- General Anesthesia
Our Doctors at Skoulas, DDS and Associates Are Highly Qualified Cosmetic Dentists
If you are looking for a cosmetic dentist in San Francisco to improve the look and function of your smile, our doctors are here to help!
No matter your concern, contact our doctors at (415) 757-0110 to schedule your first consultation.