Teeth Whitening: At Home or At the Dentist?
If you’re like most people, you’ve probably looked at your teeth in the mirror recently and wished they were a little (or maybe a lot) whiter than they are. Look at the abundance of home whitening products at your local grocery store and you’ll know you’re not the only one with whitening on your mind. With such an array of home whitening options available, you might wonder if professional whitening treatments in a dental office are even necessary. We can assure you: San Francisco teeth whitening patients still have a number of benefits to gain from a visit to Dr. Skoulas for professional care.
Let’s Consider Our Options
To make an honest assessment of whether home care is as effective as treatments in the office, consider your options a little more closely:
- Whitening Rinses: While these are very easy to use – simply swish them around in your mouth – the active ingredients are only in contact with your teeth for a short time. These can whiten gradually over time but are probably more effective at helping to prevent new stains after other whitening treatments.
- Whitening Toothpaste: The combination of active stain-fighting ingredients and gentle brushing is effective for removing surface stains and gentle whitening over time, but these typically lack the ability to get at deeper stains. They also cause tooth sensitivity in some people.
- Gel Strips: Strips can be applied to your teeth up to twice daily depending on the type and treatment courses typically extend over 10-20 days. Whitening effects can be fairly significant with these but they have restrictions on how many times a year they can be used and can also cause sensitivity.
- Home Whitening Trays: Store-bought tray treatments can be very effective at teeth whitening but they aren’t custom made to fit your teeth like those used in a dental office, thus they’re more likely to rub against and irritate your gums.
- Dental Office Whitening: Most commonly, whitening procedures in the dental office involve custom trays filled with bleaching solution that fit snugly over your teeth. The custom fit eliminates issues with gum irritation. Also, because you’re under the supervision of a dentist, a stronger whitening solution than what’s found in store-bought trays can be used, allowing for penetration to deep stains and more dramatic results. Heat and light sources can be applied to speed the process further. Office whitening treatments typically produce better results in a single treatment than the weeks to months required by most home treatments.
So, while home whitening treatments certainly aren’t without their benefits, the fastest and safest way to noticeably whiter teeth remains scheduling an appointment with your dentist. Dr. Skoulas offers flexible appointment times and fast, quality service to fit your busy schedule.
Ready for a more brilliant smile in minutes instead of months? San Francisco teeth whitening patients, look no further than Dr. Antigone Skoulas for fast, quality care that fits your timeframe. Contact us to schedule your appointment today.