Veneers can restore your teeth even if they have minor cavities, fractures, or other aesthetic concerns. Porcelain shells chemically bond to the front of your teeth, providing a new surface and an all-new smile.
With porcelain veneers, San Francisco patients get a very conservative restoration option with a lasting and aesthetically pleasing result. In specific cases, if you have multiple damaged teeth, veneers can rejuvenate their appearance without orthodontics, crowns, or tooth replacement, and treatment is relatively fast and simple.
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
Patients in San Francisco often elect to get porcelain veneers to correct a variety of dental issues. Veneers are super-thin pieces of porcelain that are bonded to the teeth. Dr. Skoulas only uses the finest materials for her porcelain veneers because it produces a more natural sheen than other veneer materials like resin. She will match your veneers to the color and shape of the rest of your teeth so that they are virtually indistinguishable. Before applying and bonding the veneers, Dr. Skoulas will take an impression of your tooth (or teeth) and send them to a dental lab. The lab will then fabricate your veneers which can take several days or weeks.
The Benefits Of Porcelain Veneers
When you visit our practice, Dr. Skoulas will help you understand your options based on a careful examination and a discussion about the concerns you have. She may recommend veneers to you if:
- You want to reposition or even out your teeth.
- You prefer an alternative to orthodontics. While orthodontics are a long-term and minimally abrasive treatment, they do require an investment of time and money.
- Your teeth only have slight damage or minor fractures.
Veneers are a quick and effective way to create your perfect smile. In addition, they conserve tooth structure while providing a highly aesthetic and natural-looking result.
Dr. Antigone Skoulas
SF dentist Dr. Antigone Skoulas prioritizes patient comfort, efficiency, and quality care.
She ensures that those under her treatment understand their options and have confidence in their procedures, and she adds to the capabilities of our SF practice through her professional development as a dentist and the knowledge of her staff.About Dr. Skoulas
What Issues Can Be Solved With Porcelain Veneers?
With dental veneers, any number of naturally occurring problem can be fixed. Veneers are an excellent approach to changing a tooth’s color, size or shape. Porcelain Veneers can mask undesirable tooth defects, such as teeth stained by tetracycline and damage due to an injury or as a result of a root-canal procedure. Veneers are ideal for masking discolored fillings in front teeth. If you have gaps between your front teeth or teeth that are chipped or worn, you may consider veneers as a solution. Patients love porcelain veneers because they can solve a number of otherwise costly and painful issues.
- Discoloration – Veneers are an instant fix for discolored teeth. Whether it’s from smoking, drinking coffee, or a root canal, veneers can instantly cover up discolored
- Broken or worn teeth – Veneers offer a quick fix for chipped, cracked, or worn down teeth.
- Gaps and crooked teeth – If your teeth have gaps between them or even if they’re crooked, veneers can instantly give them a straight and even appearance.
Porcelain veneers are one of the primary tools in cosmetic dentistry to create your smile makeover. If you ever wished you could radically redesign your smile, veneers could be just the solution for your teeth.
Who Is A Candidate For Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers are one of the most versatile, efficient, and beautiful treatment options we offer. Unfortunately, not all patients are candidates for them. Here are some characteristics of a good candidate for porcelain veneers.
- Healthy teeth and gums – Patients looking to get porcelain veneers will need to have healthy gums and teeth. The good news is that patients suffering from gum disease or tooth decay can get those issues treated first and then become ideal candidates for porcelain veneers.
- Teeth grinding – Even the super-strong enamel on your teeth can become cracked from nightly teeth grinding. While porcelain is also very strong, it’s not quite as strong as your enamel. Patients that suffer from teeth grinding will need to have that issue treated before they get their porcelain veneers. But there is good news here also. There are some exciting new porcelain veneers that are strong enough to withstand teeth grinding and may mean more patients can get veneers.
- Enough enamel – During the procedure, Dr. Skoulas removes a very thin layer of enamel from the tooth. This allows space for the veneer. Patients need to have a sufficient amount enamel to be candidates for veneers.
- Committed to good oral health – Patients that invest in porcelain veneers need to be committed to keeping their teeth and gums healthy. While porcelain is immune to cavities, the rest of your teeth are not. Brushing and flossing regularly will help prevent your gums from receding and revealing the edge of the veneer. Tooth decay is another common issue that can cause your veneers to fail.
Advantages And Disadvantages Of Porcelain Veneers
Patients in San Francisco should also know about some of the risks and benefits associated with veneers. First of all, veneers usually don’t cause any issues with gum tissue. They also resist stains and look natural. But most of all, veneers are a great way to change the shape of a tooth without using a crown.
On the other hand, though, veneers cannot be repaired if they crack. Also, removing the enamel on the teeth can increase sensitivity to hot and cold. The tooth under the veneer can still get cavities, and if you have unhealthy teeth, veneers may not be an option.
The Aesthetics Of Porcelain Veneers
In order to achieve a more natural and customized result, Dr. Skoulas puts her artistic abilities to work by first designing your smile while you are in her chair. Once you approve the design of your new smile, the veneers are created by our Master Ceramist. Dr. Skoulas’ porcelain veneers are more natural looking and include a more layering effect of natural colors. The porcelain veneer must mimic the natural tooth qualities you desire; hence selecting a cosmetic dentist is of vital importance for a beautiful result. If not done properly many failures such as de-bonding or fractures of the porcelain veneers are common. Porcelain Veneers, provided by an expert cosmetic dentist such as Dr. Skoulas, are custom made to the individual’s lip form, face, skin tone, and personality.
Before & After Photos
Procedure For Porcelain Veneers
Patients that get porcelain veneers will first discuss their anesthesia options. We offer nitrous for our patients to help them relax and, of course, we offer local anesthetic. From there, Dr. Skoulas will remove about ½ millimeter of enamel from the tooth (or teeth). This process makes space for the veneer. After that, Dr. Skoulas will bond the veneer to the tooth permanently.
How Long Is The Procedure?
With the experience and expertise in creating the perfect smile, Dr. Skoulas can have your smile complete in as little as 4 days. Their process is precise, long lasting, and does not require a long wait to achieve the best results.
What Patients Can Expect
Our practice in San Francisco only uses high-quality materials and established dental laboratories for veneer treatments. This ensures that your porcelain veneers last for years and meet exacting measurements, which will conserve more of your original tooth.
In the process:
- You will visit our practice for a preparation appointment. Dr. Skoulas will remove tooth decay, address fractures, and treat other aesthetic concerns.
- She will place temporary veneers for you to wear until the next appointment.
- In a second appointment, Dr. Skoulas will remove the temporary veneers and place the permanent porcelain veneer. She will bond the veneer to the tooth, helping you get the right contour and shade match.
Dr. Skoulas will care for your comfort in procedures by providing appropriate anesthesia and offering our personal entertainment system, which will help you pass the time more easily. She will also discuss your treatment in detail beforehand and address any concerns you may have.
After porcelain veneers, patients sometimes have sensitivity or feel a difference in their bite. If you notice these concerns and they don’t resolve after a few days, please get in touch with our practice, and we will work with you to adjust these issues.
Recovering From Porcelain Veneers
Patients in San Francisco are some of the busiest people you’ll ever meet. The great news is that most of our San Francisco patients are able to return to work the same day they get their procedure. While this may vary for some of our patients that get anesthesia, the procedure is minimally invasive and allows our patients the freedom to get back to their lives very quickly afterwards.
How Long Do Porcelain Veneers Last?
Generally speaking, patients can expect their veneers to last anywhere from 7 to 20 years. On average patients get about 10 years of use out of their veneers. The patients whose veneers last for 20 years almost always engage in proper oral hygiene and regular dental visits.
Why Use Antigone Skoulas, DDS & Associates For Your Porcelain Veneers
San Francisco patients deserve to look and feel their best. Many of our patients have careers that they love and a big part of their success is having a beautiful, straight smile that lights up the room. The kind of confidence that a gorgeous smile gives our patients is irreplaceable. Here are a few reasons why so many patients trust Dr. Skoulas with their dental treatment.
- After-hours treatment – We know that your job can be demanding and that you work long hours. Coming into a dentist office during the day simply isn’t an option for many of our patients. That’s exactly why Dr. Skoulas offers after-hours where she stays late, comes in early, and even comes in on the weekends to help our patients feel their best and keep their mouths healthy. This kind of commitment and availability is something that we are very proud of.
- Emergency dental work – Whether it’s an accident, a fall, or a sporting accident, no one can predict when they’ll need emergency dental work or porcelain veneers. Patients who are in the Financial District and Embarcadero areas of San Francisco can call our emergency line for 24-hour dental services.
- Education – Dr. Skoulas graduated from UCLA and completed her dental training at the Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry right here in San Francisco. She is also a lecturer at the UCLA School of Dentistry.
- Memberships – Dr. Skoulas is also a member of a wide range of prestigious and exclusive dental associations and groups including the American Dental Association, Academy of Operative Dentistry, and American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. She also serves on the committees of several other dental associations including the California Dental Association, the Western Los Angeles Dental Society, and the San Francisco Dental Society.
- Giving back – Finally, Dr. Skoulas is proud to offer her expertise and time to disadvantaged communities overseas with free treatment.
If you’re ready to get started for your porcelain veneers, we would love to hear from you! Give us a call today at (415) 757-0110!