Strong teeth give you an attractive smile, a comfortable bite, and better oral health. Even with proper care, though, cavities can develop and weaken the structure of your teeth. Small cavities are generally found on the biting surface of the teeth where bacteria can get lodged in pits and crevices, or in between the teeth, which we call “flossing cavities.”
With dental fillings, patients of the Financial District and Embarcadero areas of San Francisco can resolve small cavities and prevent bigger issues. Dr. Skoulas uses tooth-colored composites so that your fillings will look and feel just like part of your natural tooth.
The Benefits Of Dental Fillings
Dental fillings are a non-invasive and effective treatment for cavities, and they promote the long-term health of your smile. Not all dental fillings are equal, however, as the materials and methods a dentist uses can yield very different results. That’s why our practice:
- Selects high-quality components and bonding systems based on current dental research. Dr. Skoulas continually monitors technology, techniques, and other advancements in treatment.
- Chooses dental fillings that minimize postoperative sensitivity and make placement faster. As a result, the process is efficient and much more comfortable for you.
- Takes the time to select color and shade matches for your tooth. Our commitment to every detail means no one will notice that you had a cavity.
What San Francisco Dental Filling Patients Can Expect
Once Dr. Skoulas identifies that you have one or more cavities:
- You will come in for an appointment that should last around 20 minutes (longer for multiple cavities.)
- Dr. Skoulas will remove cavities and place the dental fillings.
- She will chemically bond these composite restorations to the structure of the teeth.
After the procedure, you might have some sensitivity or notice that your teeth feel slightly different. Our materials choices help minimize these sensations. However, if you feel like your bite is off following treatment, Dr. Skoulas can resolve this issue with a five-minute fix; be sure to let our practice know if you have any concerns.
Why You Need Dental Fillings
Men and women of the San Francisco and Embarcadero areas are constantly rushing from work, to social engagements, to outdoor activities, and more. Throughout the day, the billions of bacteria in your mouth will collect on your teeth and form a sticky layer called plaque. The bacteria feed on the food and sugar that gets stuck to the surface of your teeth. As the bacteria eat, they produce a powerful acidic substance as a waste byproduct. Your teeth are protected by a hard layer of enamel (the hardest substance your body can make), but this acid will eventually eat through it. When this happens, cavities are formed.
Now, once the bacteria are through the enamel, they’ll start consuming the soft, porous interior of the tooth. If left untreated, this will cause an infection that can require a root canal or a full tooth extraction to treat. A simple dental filling stops the decay before it gets to that point.