San Francisco Invisalign
You want straight, even, and healthy teeth for an aesthetically pleasing smile, but you may be concerned about the appearance and discomfort of braces. Invisalign® provides a clear, removable alternative for teens, adults, and working professionals in San Francisco.
Invisalign gradually straightens teeth with a customized set of aligners that fit and mold to your smile. With guidance from Skoulas DDS, the treatment will gently move your teeth into their proper place over time—all without the irritation and interference that braces can cause.
What Exactly is Invisalign?
San Francisco men and women are some of the busiest and motivated people you’ll ever meet. We love how passionate our patients are about life and their careers. But one of the things that our patients express concern about is the straightness of their teeth. Crooked teeth can sometimes be a roadblock on your path to success. Whether your teeth have been a misaligned since childhood or if some kind of trauma has caused your teeth to move, Invisalign is a terrific option to straighten them out.
How Invisalign Works
Traditional metal braces are fixed to the teeth to provide 24/7 pressure. However, this means that whenever the patient smiles, tries to talk, or needs to eat, the braces get in the way, cause pain, and can be unsightly.
Invisalign works using clear USP Class VI medical-grade, high molecular weight, polyurethane resins. They are BPA-free and perfectly safe to keep in your mouth. Dr. Skoulas will take a mold of the mouth and then use that to craft a series of customized trays that you can take home with you.
Patients should do their best to wear the Invisalign trays for at least 22 hours a day, if not more. The Invisalign trays work exactly like metal braces: they slowly move the teeth into the desired position over time. Patients need to switch trays every couple weeks because their teeth will have shifted. The new trays will feel “tighter” as they continue to move the teeth into their proper place.
How Convenient is Invisalign?
San Francisco patients are often worried that taking care of their Invisalign trays will get in the way of their daily activities. The fact is that Invisalign is specifically designed to be as low-maintenance as possible. There are some precautions that patients need to take, but the result of perfectly straight teeth is well worth it. Plus, caring for Invisalign takes just a few minutes each day and the benefits to our patients are tremendous.
Caring for Invisalign Trays
The main concern with Invisalign trays is keeping them clean before putting them in your mouth. This includes making sure your teeth are free from potentially staining foods like berries, coffee, or pasta sauce. San Francisco patients are recommended to brush their teeth after meals and clean their Invisalign trays thoroughly before putting them in their mouth.
The Benefits of Invisalign
Invisalign is the modern alternative to braces. It offers advantages in nearly every area, including…
- Comfort. Invisalign’s aligner trays are smooth, comfortable, and hard to spot. Unlike the metal brackets and wires of braces, Invisalign blends in with your smile, making it an ideal solution for school, home, or work.
- Convenience. Braces often require adjustments, repairs, and upkeep. Our San Francisco Invisalign patients don’t have these restrictions; they just replace the aligner trays on an ongoing basis until treatment is finished. Also, unlike braces, it’s easy to floss, brush, and clean your teeth with Invisalign.
- Flexibility. While you should wear your Invisalign aligners for 20-22 hours a day, you can choose to remove them for important occasions. Whether it’s a work presentation or a meal with friends and family, you can enjoy your time unencumbered.
What San Francisco Invisalign Patients Can Expect
Visit Skoulas DDS to learn more about Invisalign. Dr. Skoulas will help you understand how the treatment method works, answer your questions, and ensure that you are a good candidate. As part of the process:
- She will take images, impressions, and x-rays to create a precise treatment plan for your teeth.
- Dr. Skoulas will advise you about the expected length of treatment and show you a virtual representation of how your smile will look. Treatment usually takes about one year for adults.
- When your custom-made, transparent aligners are ready, you will begin wearing your first set, removing them for meals and brushing your teeth. About every two weeks, you will exchange your aligners for a new set, and you will have checkups with Dr. Skoulas about every six weeks to make sure you are on track to your ideal smile.
- After you finish treatment, Dr. Skoulas may recommend retainers to preserve the alignment of your teeth.
What Happens After Invisalign Treatment?
After treatment with Invisalign, San Francisco patients will discuss the option of wearing a retainer with Dr. Skoulas. In most cases, patients will get fitted for a retainer using an impression or scan. The retainer can be worn at night and helps the teeth stay in their desired position. Patients often jump at this opportunity because of all the time and effort they’ve spent realigning their teeth and they want to keep their fabulous results.
Invisalign is comparable to the price of braces but offers all of the advantages of a non-obtrusive, flexible, and comfortable solution. Your insurance plan may also cover treatment. Find out more about the benefits of Invisalign by scheduling an appointment with Skoulas DDS in San Francisco.
Invisalign can give you the smile that you want without interfering with daily life. For an initial consultation, call Dr. Skoulas at (415) 757-0110.