San Francisco Invisalign
You want straight, even, and healthy teeth for an aesthetically pleasing smile, but you may be concerned about the appearance and discomfort of braces. Invisalign® provides a clear, removable alternative for teens, adults, and working professionals in San Francisco.
Invisalign gradually straightens teeth with a customized set of aligners that fit and mold to your smile. With guidance from Skoulas DDS, the treatment will gently move your teeth into their proper place over time—all without the irritation and interference that braces can cause.
What Exactly is Invisalign?
San Francisco men and women are some of the busiest and motivated people you’ll ever meet. We love how passionate our patients are about life and their careers. But one of the things that our patients express concern about is the straightness of their teeth. Crooked teeth can sometimes be a roadblock on your path to success. Whether your teeth have been a misaligned since childhood or if some kind of trauma has caused your teeth to move, Invisalign is a terrific option to straighten them out.
How Invisalign Works
Traditional metal braces are fixed to the teeth to provide 24/7 pressure. However, this means that whenever the patient smiles, tries to talk, or needs to eat, the braces get in the way, cause pain, and can be unsightly.
Invisalign works using clear USP Class VI medical-grade, high molecular weight, polyurethane resins. They are BPA-free and perfectly safe to keep in your mouth. Dr. Skoulas will take a mold of the mouth and then use that to craft a series of customized trays that you can take home with you.
Patients should do their best to wear the Invisalign trays for at least 22 hours a day, if not more. The Invisalign trays work exactly like metal braces: they slowly move the teeth into the desired position over time. Patients need to switch trays every couple weeks because their teeth will have shifted. The new trays will feel “tighter” as they continue to move the teeth into their proper place.
How Convenient is Invisalign?
San Francisco patients are often worried that taking care of their Invisalign trays will get in the way of their daily activities. The fact is that Invisalign is specifically designed to be as low-maintenance as possible. There are some precautions that patients need to take, but the result of perfectly straight teeth is well worth it. Plus, caring for Invisalign takes just a few minutes each day and the benefits to our patients are tremendous.
Caring for Invisalign Trays
The main concern with Invisalign trays is keeping them clean before putting them in your mouth. This includes making sure your teeth are free from potentially staining foods like berries, coffee, or pasta sauce. San Francisco patients are recommended to brush their teeth after meals and clean their Invisalign trays thoroughly before putting them in their mouth.
The Benefits of Invisalign
Invisalign is the modern alternative to braces. It offers advantages in nearly every area, including…
- Comfort. Invisalign’s aligner trays are smooth, comfortable, and hard to spot. Unlike the metal brackets and wires of braces, Invisalign blends in with your smile, making it an ideal solution for school, home, or work.
- Convenience. Braces often require adjustments, repairs, and upkeep. Our San Francisco Invisalign patients don’t have these restrictions; they just replace the aligner trays on an ongoing basis until treatment is finished. Also, unlike braces, it’s easy to floss, brush, and clean your teeth with Invisalign.
- Flexibility. While you should wear your Invisalign aligners for 20-22 hours a day, you can choose to remove them for important occasions. Whether it’s a work presentation or a meal with friends and family, you can enjoy your time unencumbered.
What San Francisco Invisalign Patients Can Expect
Visit Skoulas DDS to learn more about Invisalign. Dr. Skoulas will help you understand how the treatment method works, answer your questions, and ensure that you are a good candidate. As part of the process:
- She will take images, impressions, and x-rays to create a precise treatment plan for your teeth.
- Dr. Skoulas will advise you about the expected length of treatment and show you a virtual representation of how your smile will look. Treatment usually takes about one year for adults.
- When your custom-made, transparent aligners are ready, you will begin wearing your first set, removing them for meals and brushing your teeth. About every two weeks, you will exchange your aligners for a new set, and you will have checkups with Dr. Skoulas about every six weeks to make sure you are on track to your ideal smile.
- After you finish treatment, Dr. Skoulas may recommend retainers to preserve the alignment of your teeth.
What Happens After Invisalign Treatment?
After treatment with Invisalign, San Francisco patients will discuss the option of wearing a retainer with Dr. Skoulas. In most cases, patients will get fitted for a retainer using an impression or scan. The retainer can be worn at night and helps the teeth stay in their desired position. Patients often jump at this opportunity because of all the time and effort they’ve spent realigning their teeth and they want to keep their fabulous results.
Invisalign is comparable to the price of braces but offers all of the advantages of a non-obtrusive, flexible, and comfortable solution. Your insurance plan may also cover treatment. Find out more about the benefits of Invisalign by scheduling an appointment with Skoulas DDS in San Francisco.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Invisalign?
When determining if a San Francisco patient is a good candidate for Invisalign, Dr. Skoulas will take a few different factors into consideration.
- Oral health – One of the first things that Dr. Skoulas will look at is your oral health. She’ll check for any cavities and gum disease. Moving the teeth with active gum disease has the potential to increase the damage done by the infection. These issues need to be treated before the teeth can be straightened.
- Severity of misalignment – Invisalign can correct a wide range of issues including overbite, underbite, crossbite, and gapped or crowded teeth. However, it has its limitations. For severe misalignment that could require surgery to shift the jaw, Invisalign may not be the best treatment option.
- Age – For late teens and adults Invisalign works wonders. Teenagers love how inconspicuous it is. They can get a prom-worthy smile while avoiding any teasing from their peers. Even adults can straighten their teeth while they’re at work without having to look like a teenager. But for children, Invisalign may not be appropriate because their teeth are still growing and developing.
One other factor that goes into Invisalign is the patient’s willingness to “stick with it.” The process can take time. While metal braces are attached to the teeth, San Francisco patients can remove Invisalign. But patients need to keep their Invisalign trays in their mouths at least 22 hours a day. It doesn’t take long for the teeth to start to shift back into their old position. To get the results you want, patients need to be dedicated to the process.
How Long do Invisalign Results Last?
Once the Invisalign treatment is finished, San Francisco patients will enjoy a fabulous, brand new, and straight smile. But one of the first questions they ask us is how long will their new results last?
After Invisalign treatment, if patients do not wear a retainer, the teeth will start to shift back to their original position. This is called relapse. Your teeth actually have a memory and will, slowly but surely, start to shift back.
This starts to happen almost immediately after the Invisalign treatment is finished. In fact, the tendency for relapse is strongest right after the treatment ends and will continue for years.
That’s why almost all of our patients opt to get a retainer after their Invisalign treatment is finished. Many of our patients only require a top retainer that can be worn at night. This simple habit can help you save your beautiful results for years to come.
Hobbies and Invisalign
San Francisco patients, parents, and teens love how flexible Invisalign is with their hobbies and after-school activities. If you or your child is in contact sports or plays an instrument, they can continue those activities even with Invisalign.
Now, Invisalign is not made to protect your teeth from contact sports. For sports like track and field or cross country, the Invisalign trays should not get in the way.
But for sports that require a mouthguard, you can simply remove your Invisalign tray and replace it with the mouthguard. This means that mom and dad don’t have to worry about their teen getting hit by a ball or an elbow and causing the damage that can occur with metal braces.
For musical instruments like the trumpet or flute, students can remove their tray and continue enjoying those activities just like before.
Eating and Drinking with Invisalign
San Francisco is known for its culinary excellence. You can find some of the most delicious foods in the country around every corner. One of the questions that our patients have about Invisalign is how it works with eating and drinking foods.
- Remove before eating – It is best to remove Invisalign trays before eating. The pressure from chewing can crack the trays. Food can get stuck in the trays and between your teeth. This can cause decay and also bad breath. Also, Invisalign is made to be removed for this precise reason: so that you don’t get food stuck in your metal braces and brackets.
- Drinking with Invisalign – San Francisco patients can drink as much water as they want with Invisalign trays in place. However, most other beverages are a different story. These other liquids will seep between your teeth and trays. For dark beverages like wine, cola or coffee, this can cause stains on your teeth very quickly. For sugary beverages, the risk for cavities is also high. Hot beverages like tea or coffee which can actually warp the Invisalign trays.
Why Patients Love Working with Dr. Skoulas for Invisalign
San Francisco patients love coming to Dr. Skoulas because of how gentle, caring, and compassionate she is with all of her patients. Dr. Skoulas is one of the premier dentists in the entire Bay Area and is passionate about helping her patients get the smile they deserve with Invisalign. We know how important it is to you to have a smile that you’re proud of. It gives our patients a huge boost of confidence and self-esteem to know that their teeth are healthy and straight.
We also know that coming to the dentist can cause many of our San Francisco patients anxiety but want you to be comfortable from start to finish during your visit.
All of our dental stations are also equipped with Netflix and Spotify. You can put on some headphones and relax with your favorite music, movies, or shows.
Do you have a busy schedule? We know that life can move at the speed of light. That’s why Dr. Skoulas will come in late and on the weekends to accommodate your schedule. If you work late hours or if you just can’t get away during the day, we’d love to set up an appointment at a time that works for you.
Life comes at you fast. If you need an emergency dentist 24/7, call us today. Whether it’s an accident, a fall, or some other dental emergency, Dr. Skoulas is available to help.
On top of all of that, Dr. Skoulas has received some of the finest dental education and experience available. She graduated from the Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry right here in San Francisco. She is a past lecturer at the UCLA School of Dentistry and is also a proud member of several prestigious dental organizations including the American Dental Association, Academy of Operative Dentistry, and American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry.
How to Get Started with Dr. Skoulas
The first step is to call our San Francisco offices. Our friendly and well-trained staff are always happy to get calls from our new potential patients. We are more than happy to talk with you about your question and concerns. The next step is to get you into our cozy, modern offices to meet with Dr. Skoulas. During your visit, Dr. Skoulas will perform an examination and she may even take some x-rays. Feel free to talk with Dr. Skoulas about any issues that you might have that relate to your dental concerns. We can’t wait to learn more about how we can help so get in touch with us today!
Invisalign can give you the smile that you want without interfering with daily life. For an initial consultation, call Dr. Skoulas at (415) 757-0110.