San Francisco Emergency Dentist
When you have pain, a fractured tooth, or another oral health concern that can’t wait, you need access to an effective, high-quality, 24 hour dentist.
San Francisco patients choose Skoulas DDS because of our specialization in aesthetic dentistry and our ability to schedule appointments in a timely manner. With our cloud-based communication system, Dr. Skoulas is available even outside of office hours. Resolving your discomfort and helping you recover quickly are priorities for us.
When Should You Contact a 24 Hour Dentist?
San Francisco patients should get in touch with Skoulas DDS if they have intense discomfort or a timely reason for seeking treatment.
A majority of the patients we see are professionals who take advantage of our location in the financial district. They often need an emergency dentist to avoid missing work, whether it’s because of pain associated with an infected tooth or because a broken tooth could detract from a big presentation.
Contact our practice for emergency care if you have:
- Pain or sensitivity in your teeth or gums that can’t wait for typical office hours.
- Experienced a trauma, such as a fall, that has injured your mouth.
- Lost or chipped a tooth and need a replacement as soon as possible.
Common Reasons to Call an Emergency Dentist
San Francisco patients are always on the move. From your career and friends to family and your hobbies, it’s often hard to fit in time to get your teeth cleaned and examined. What we often see with our emergency dental patients is some kind of accident or trauma to the mouth, gums, or teeth. The other common issue is that they have a problem with their teeth or gums, but simply don’t take the time to get it fixed. After a while, these small problems can balloon up into more extensive and costly illnesses that need immediate attention. Here are some of the most common procedures we perform for our emergency patients.
- Abscess – An abscess is a pocket of pus in the root of the tooth or under the gums. Some of the symptoms of an abscess are pain, swelling, redness, bad breath, and more. Abscesses are caused by tooth decay, gum disease, or trauma to the tooth. We often get calls early in the morning or late at night from patients suffering from pain caused by their abscess.
- Broken or traumatized tooth – When you break or crack a tooth, it can be incredibly painful, and you may need to call a 24-hour San Francisco patients should get their broken or cracked teeth fixed immediately to avoid infection.
- Root canal – While some infections require the tooth be removed, a root canal saves the existing tooth while removing the infected “pulp.” The pulp is the inside of the tooth that is made up of nerves and blood vessels.
- Pain when biting or chewing – Another common emergency call we get is for general pain when the patient is biting, chewing, or even drinking something hot or cold. For an emergency dentist, San Francisco patients calling about pain in their teeth is never a good sign. It usually means that there is an infection or the tooth is cracked. Either of these issues can lead to more serious complications which is why we try to get them taken care of as soon as possible.
- Wisdom teeth – When your wisdom teeth decide to come in it can cause a wide range of issues. One of the most common problems is called pericoronitis. In this case, the wisdom teeth do not fully erupt out of the gums. This allows food, bacteria, and plaque to get in under the flap of gums barely covering the wisdom teeth. This can cause an infection, inflammation, pus, pain, and swollen lymph nodes in the neck. The treatment for this depends on how severe it is and sometimes warrants the services of an emergency dentist. San Francisco patients should call Dr. Skoulas right away if they suspect that this is the case.
When Can Your San Francisco Emergency Dentist See Me?
Dr. Skoulas can often schedule emergency appointments during the early morning, late in the day, or over the weekend. She can cater to unique scheduling requirements so that you can get back to work or other commitments without interruption.
Because of our location in the middle of the financial district, you may want to schedule an appointment before work, during a lunch break, or in advance of the commute home. Get in touch with our offices when a concern arises, and we will find a time that meets your needs.
If you have a pressing oral health or aesthetic problem, contact Skoulas DDS as soon as possible to see our emergency dentist.