Dental crowns have been in use for many years to remedy many cosmetic and structural dental issues. While the way crowns are placed and the problems they solve haven’t changed much, they have become available in a variety of different materials – some better than others.
Porcelain crowns have often been considered the most desirable because they are the equivalant aesthetic match for natural teeth, but their lesser durability made for an uneasy tradeoff. Now, however, San Francisco dental crown patients can benefit from modern porcelain crowns provided by Dr. Antigone Skoulas for looks and durability.
Why Are Dental Crowns Needed?
There are a number of dental situations that may require a crown, including:
- To cover misshapen or severely discolored teeth
- To cover a dental implant
- To keep a dental bridge in place
- To make a cosmetic modification
- To protect a weak tooth from breaking or to hold together a cracked tooth
- To restore an already broken or severely worn down tooth
- To cover and support a tooth with a large filling when there isn’t much tooth left
EMAX and Zirconia Crowns
In the past, metallic crowns were sometimes chosen for their superior durability, despite their lesser aesthetic value, but EMAX and zirconia crowns are starting to change this. These modern porcelain crowns provide the following benefits over other types:
- Offers the best match to your natural teeth. EMAX crowns have an attractive transparent color and lifelike shape that makes them unlikely to be distinguished among other teeth.
- The lack of a metallic base that is typically used to improve the strength of more traditional porcelain crowns means no unsightly gray line at the base of the gums.
- Much stronger and more durable than regular porcelain crowns, EMAX crowns are less likely to crack or chip than other types.
- The minimal preparation required for zirconia crowns allow for more of the original tooth to be preserved than with other crown types.
- Zirconia crowns offer an attractive translucent color that blends in well with neighboring teeth.
- These crowns offer enhanced strength and last longer than other types of crowns.
With these modern porcelain crowns available, patients can get the optimum aesthetics of porcelain with the long-lasting durability and function of metallic crowns.
Want natural looking dental crowns that last? Dr. Antigone Skoulas provides San Francisco dental crown patients with modern porcelain crowns on your schedule. Contact us for your appointment today.