San Francisco Porcelain Veneers
Veneers can restore your teeth even if they have minor cavities, fractures, or other aesthetic concerns. Porcelain shells chemically bond to the front of your teeth, providing a new surface and an all-new smile.
With porcelain veneers, San Francisco patients get a very conservative restoration option with a lasting and aesthetically pleasing result. In specific cases, if you have multiple damaged teeth, veneers can rejuvenate their appearance without orthodontics, crowns, or tooth replacement, and treatment is relatively fast and simple.
The Benefits of Porcelain Veneers
When you visit our practice, Dr. Skoulas will help you understand your options based on a careful examination and a discussion about the concerns you have. She may recommend veneers to you if:
- You want to reposition or even out your teeth.
- You prefer an alternative to orthodontics. While orthodontics are a long-term and minimally abrasive treatment, they do require an investment of time and money.
- Your teeth only have slight damage or minor fractures.
Veneers are a quick and effective way to create your perfect smile. In addition, they conserve tooth structure while providing a highly aesthetic and natural-looking result.
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
San Francisco patients often elect to get porcelain veneers to correct a variety of dental issues. Veneers are super-thin pieces of porcelain that are bonded to the teeth. Dr. Skoulas only uses the finest materials for her porcelain veneers because it produces a more natural sheen than other veneer materials like resin. Dr. Skoulas will match your veneers to the color and shape of the rest of your teeth so that they are virtually indistinguishable. Before applying and bonding the veneers, Dr. Skoulas will take an impression of your tooth (or teeth) and send them to a dental lab. The lab will then fabricate your veneers which can take several days or weeks.
Procedure for Porcelain Veneers
San Francisco patients that get porcelain veneers will first discuss their anesthesia options with Dr. Skoulas. We offer nitrous for our patients to help them relax and, of course, we offer local anesthetic.
From there, Dr. Skoulas will remove about ½ millimeter of enamel from the tooth (or teeth). This process makes space for the veneer. After that, Dr. Skoulas will bond the veneer to the tooth permanently.
What Issues Can Be Solved with Porcelain Veneers?
San Francisco patients love porcelain veneers because they can solve a number of otherwise costly and painful issues.
- Discoloration – Veneers are an instant fix for discolored teeth. Whether it’s from smoking, drinking coffee, or a root canal, veneers can instantly cover up discolored
- Broken or worn teeth – Veneers offer a quick fix for chipped, cracked, or worn down teeth.
- Gaps and crooked teeth – If your teeth have gaps between them or even if they’re crooked, veneers can instantly give them a straight and even appearance.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Porcelain Veneers
San Francisco patients should also know about some of the risks and benefits associated with veneers. First of all, veneers usually don’t cause any issues with gum tissue. They also resist stains and look natural. But most of all, veneers are a great way to change the shape of a tooth without using a crown.
On the other hand, though, veneers cannot be repaired if they crack. Also, removing the enamel on the teeth can increase sensitivity to hot and cold. The tooth under the veneer can still get cavities, and if you have unhealthy teeth, veneers may not be an option.
What San Francisco Veneer Patients Can Expect
Skoulas DDS only uses high-quality materials and established dental laboratories for veneer treatments. This ensures that your porcelain veneers last for years and meet exacting measurements, which will conserve more of your original tooth.
In the process:
- You will visit Skoulas DDS for a preparation appointment. Dr. Skoulas will remove tooth decay, address fractures, and treat other aesthetic concerns.
- She will place temporary veneers for you to wear until the next appointment.
- In a second appointment, Dr. Skoulas will remove the temporary veneers and place the permanent porcelain veneer. She will bond the veneer to the tooth, helping you get the right contour and shade match.
Dr. Skoulas will care for your comfort in procedures by providing appropriate anesthesia and offering our personal entertainment system, which will help you pass the time more easily. She will also discuss your treatment in detail beforehand and address any concerns you may have.
After porcelain veneers, San Francisco patients sometimes have sensitivity or feel a difference in their bite. If you notice these concerns and they don’t resolve after a few days, please get in touch with our practice, and we will work with you to adjust these issues.
Learn more about veneers. San Francisco patients can schedule an appointment with Skoulas DDS online or by phone.