San Francisco Porcelain Veneers
Veneers can restore your teeth even if they have minor cavities, fractures, or other aesthetic concerns. Porcelain shells chemically bond to the front of your teeth, providing a new surface and an all-new smile.
With porcelain veneers, Financial District, San Francisco patients get a very conservative restoration option with a lasting and aesthetically pleasing result. In specific cases, if you have multiple damaged teeth, veneers can rejuvenate their appearance without orthodontics, crowns, or tooth replacement, and treatment is relatively fast and simple.
The Benefits of Porcelain Veneers
When you visit our practice, Dr. Skoulas will help you understand your options based on a careful examination and a discussion about the concerns you have. She may recommend veneers to you if:
- You want to reposition or even out your teeth.
- You prefer an alternative to orthodontics. While orthodontics are a long-term and minimally abrasive treatment, they do require an investment of time and money.
- Your teeth only have slight damage or minor fractures.
Veneers are a quick and effective way to create your perfect smile. In addition, they conserve tooth structure while providing a highly aesthetic and natural-looking result.
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
Financial District, San Francisco patients often elect to get porcelain veneers to correct a variety of dental issues. Veneers are super-thin pieces of porcelain that are bonded to the teeth. Dr. Skoulas only uses the finest materials for her porcelain veneers because it produces a more natural sheen than other veneer materials like resin. Dr. Skoulas will match your veneers to the color and shape of the rest of your teeth so that they are virtually indistinguishable. Before applying and bonding the veneers, Dr. Skoulas will take an impression of your tooth (or teeth) and send them to a dental lab. The lab will then fabricate your veneers which can take several days or weeks.
Procedure for Porcelain Veneers
Financial District, San Francisco patients that get porcelain veneers will first discuss their anesthesia options with Dr. Skoulas. We offer nitrous for our patients to help them relax and, of course, we offer local anesthetic.
From there, Dr. Skoulas will remove about ½ millimeter of enamel from the tooth (or teeth). This process makes space for the veneer. After that, Dr. Skoulas will bond the veneer to the tooth permanently.
What Issues Can Be Solved with Porcelain Veneers?
Financial District, San Francisco patients love porcelain veneers because they can solve a number of otherwise costly and painful issues.
- Discoloration – Veneers are an instant fix for discolored teeth. Whether it’s from smoking, drinking coffee, or a root canal, veneers can instantly cover up discolored
- Broken or worn teeth – Veneers offer a quick fix for chipped, cracked, or worn down teeth.
- Gaps and crooked teeth – If your teeth have gaps between them or even if they’re crooked, veneers can instantly give them a straight and even appearance.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Porcelain Veneers
Financial District, San Francisco patients should also know about some of the risks and benefits associated with veneers. First of all, veneers usually don’t cause any issues with gum tissue. They also resist stains and look natural. But most of all, veneers are a great way to change the shape of a tooth without using a crown.
On the other hand, though, veneers cannot be repaired if they crack. Also, removing the enamel on the teeth can increase sensitivity to hot and cold. The tooth under the veneer can still get cavities, and if you have unhealthy teeth, veneers may not be an option.
What Financial District, San Francisco Veneer Patients Can Expect
Skoulas DDS only uses high-quality materials and established dental laboratories for veneer treatments. This ensures that your porcelain veneers last for years and meet exacting measurements, which will conserve more of your original tooth.
In the process:
- You will visit Skoulas DDS for a preparation appointment. Dr. Skoulas will remove tooth decay, address fractures, and treat other aesthetic concerns.
- She will place temporary veneers for you to wear until the next appointment.
- In a second appointment, Dr. Skoulas will remove the temporary veneers and place the permanent porcelain veneer. She will bond the veneer to the tooth, helping you get the right contour and shade match.
Dr. Skoulas will care for your comfort in procedures by providing appropriate anesthesia and offering our personal entertainment system, which will help you pass the time more easily. She will also discuss your treatment in detail beforehand and address any concerns you may have.
After porcelain veneers, Financial District, San Francisco patients sometimes have sensitivity or feel a difference in their bite. If you notice these concerns and they don’t resolve after a few days, please get in touch with our practice, and we will work with you to adjust these issues.
Why Get Porcelain Veneers?
Financial District, San Francisco is a competitive and fast-paced city. Being located in the financial district, we have the privilege to work with many patients that are passionate about their careers. Because our mouths are often the focal point during conversations, having a flawless, beautiful, and brilliant white and straight smile can be a huge asset for many of our patients.
Treatment with porcelain veneers is one of the best options for many of our patients who want to get that magazine-ready smile. While it may be more costly than teeth whitening, porcelain veneers often deliver gorgeous results that can last for many years.
But even more importantly, the biggest benefit for our patients is the boost of confidence they get. Knowing that their smile will light up the room can give our patients the confidence they need to succeed. This improved sense of self-esteem can benefit not only their career, but their personal lives as well.
Who Is a Candidate for Porcelain Veneers
Porcelain veneers are one of the most versatile, efficient, and beautiful treatment options we offer. Unfortunately, not all patients are candidates for them. Here are some characteristics of a good candidate for porcelain veneers.
- Healthy teeth and gums – Patients looking to get porcelain veneers will need to have healthy gums and teeth. The good news is that patients suffering from gum disease or tooth decay can get those issues treated first and then become ideal candidates for porcelain veneers.
- Teeth grinding – Even the super-strong enamel on your teeth can become cracked from nightly teeth grinding. While porcelain is also very strong, it’s not quite as strong as your enamel. Patients that suffer from teeth grinding will need to have that issue treated before they get their porcelain veneers. But there is good news here also. There are some exciting new porcelain veneers that are strong enough to withstand teeth grinding and may mean more patients can get veneers.
- Enough enamel – During the procedure, Dr. Skoulas removes a very thin layer of enamel from the tooth. This allows space for the veneer. Patients need to have a sufficient amount enamel to be candidates for veneers.
- Committed to good oral health – Patients that invest in porcelain veneers need to be committed to keeping their teeth and gums healthy. While porcelain is immune to cavities, the rest of your teeth are not. Brushing and flossing regularly will help prevent your gums from receding and revealing the edge of the veneer. Tooth decay is another common issue that can cause your veneers to fail.
Recovering From Porcelain Veneers
Financial District, San Francisco patients are some of the busiest people you’ll ever meet. Our patients are always curious about the recovery period for their new porcelain veneers.
The great news is that most of our Financial District, San Francisco patients are able to return to work the same day they get their procedure. While this may vary for some of our patients that get anesthesia, the procedure is minimally invasive and allows our patients the freedom to get back to their lives very quickly afterwards.
How to Care for Porcelain Veneers
Financial District, San Francisco patients absolutely love their porcelain veneers because of how easy they are to maintain and care for.
- Keep up oral hygiene – Patients should continue to brush and floss their teeth just like before. Keeping your teeth healthy is just as important with porcelain veneers as without. Regular brushing and flossing will keep your teeth and gums healthy so that your smile and your veneers look flawless. Even though the porcelain itself will not get cavities or stain, your teeth underneath still need good oral hygiene.
- Eat what you want – While porcelain veneers are incredibly durable, they are not quite as strong as your natural teeth. However, patients can enjoy any and all foods just as they would with their natural teeth.
- Non-food items – For patients that chew on pen caps, bite their nails, or use their teeth to open things, these habits can cause chips and cracks in your veneers that are difficult to repair. Make sure you keep all non-food items out of your mouth so that your veneers last for as long as possible.
- Grinding – Grinding your teeth at night is referred to as bruxism. If you suffer from bruxism, you should make sure to wear a retainer at night to protect your teeth and your porcelain veneers. Financial District, San Francisco patients that brux at night can crack or break off their porcelain veneers because the pressure is so great.
- Stains – While the porcelain of the veneers is highly resistant to stains, the cement that is used to bond the porcelain to the teeth is not. Patients should talk to Dr. Skoulas about how they can avoid accumulating stains around the edges of their porcelain veneers from beverages and foods like wine, coffee, tea, berries, and tomato sauce.
How Long Do Porcelain Veneers Last?
Generally speaking, patients can expect their porcelain veneers to last anywhere from 7 to 20 years. On average patients get about 10 years of use out of their veneers. The patients whose veneers last for 20 years almost always engage in proper oral hygiene and regular dental visits.
Because porcelain isn’t a living substance, the issue is often that the patient’s gum begins to recede, exposing the edge of the veneer and the root of the tooth.
Why Use Dr. Skoulas for Your Porcelain Veneers
Financial District, San Francisco patients deserve to look and feel their best. Many of our patients have careers that they love and a big part of their success is having a beautiful, straight smile that lights up the room. The kind of confidence that a gorgeous smile gives our patients is irreplaceable. Here are a few reasons why so many patients trust Dr. Skoulas with their dental treatment.
- After-hours treatment – We know that your job can be demanding and that you work long hours. Coming into a dentist office during the day simply isn’t an option for many of our patients. That’s exactly why Dr. Skoulas offers after-hours She stays late, comes in early, and even comes in on the weekends to help our patients feel their best and keep their mouths healthy. This kind of commitment and availability is something that we are very proud of.
- Emergency dental work – Whether it’s an accident, a fall, or a sporting accident, no one can predict when they’ll need emergency dental work or porcelain veneers. Financial District, San Francisco patients can call our emergency line for 24-hour dental services.
- Education – Dr. Skoulas graduated from UCLA and completed her dental training at the Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry right here in San Francisco. She is also a lecturer at the UCLA School of Dentistry.
- Memberships – Dr. Skoulas is also a member of a wide range of prestigious and exclusive dental associations and groups including the American Dental Association, Academy of Operative Dentistry, and American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. She also serves on the committees of several other dental associations including the California Dental Association, the Western Los Angeles Dental Society, and the San Francisco Dental Society.
- Giving back – Finally, Dr. Skoulas is proud to offer her expertise and time to disadvantaged communities overseas with free treatment.
If you’re ready to get started with Dr. Skoulas for your porcelain veneers, we would love to hear from you. Learn more about veneers. Financial District, San Francisco patients can schedule an appointment with Skoulas DDS online or by phone.